Thursday, February 28, 2008

More rambling thoughts from a cold-addled mind

Where has this week gone? I've been trying to organize my relief society binder, so I have it spread out all over the floor of my office. It hit me today that it has been lying there for over a week now. Ugh!!! What do I do with my days??? In my defense, I have kept the kitchen semi-clean for a few days in a row. And I did get my hair washed yesterday. (That's always a bonus) And all of my boys are still alive and we actually got Caeden's kindergarten homework done BEFORE Friday this week. In our household, that's huge! I did get Jacob's and Levi's rooms organized - finally. They both had clothes that were too small that needed to be cleaned out, and new clothes from the boxes in storage to be rotated in. (One of the great advantages of having 5 boys - Hand-me-downs!) We've made it to scouts this week and we have even got some piano practicing done. It's just a constant thing to try to keep boys where they're supposed to be, fed, and mostly happy.
At this moment, Jacob is upstairs mad at me because he wants to come downstairs. I installed a gate to keep Levi from falling down the stairs, and it keeps Jacob in one place, too. Jake hates it. In fact, he's yelling right now, "I'm just stucking!!!!" It doesn't matter that I have lifted him over the gate 4 times in the last 5 minutes. He just doesn't like to be confined. But sometimes mom needs him to be confined. My brother calls him "Houdini" for a reason. The last time Jacob came downstairs, he was muttering under his breath "I'm so sorry..." I still haven't found what he's so sorry about. I'm a little nervous about that one.

Just a thought from a rambling mind. This week Levi and I have had colds. Every morning starts with a few nasal drop for Levi followed by some suctioning with a nasal aspirator so he can breathe while he nurses. As I nurse, I listen to the news on the radio. The politicians are so concerned with torture techniques like water-boarding, but have any of them ever tried to use a nasal aspirator on a baby? If Levi could talk, I'm sure he would be crying torture! Or let's talk about the new car seat laws. They want to keep kids in car seats until they're 8. Have you ever been on a long trip with kids strapped in car seats? Poor kids sleep sitting up, have red marks on their bodies from the straps, and when they do wake up, parts of their poor bodies have fallen asleep because they can't move around. Again the word "torture" enters my mind. Next story is about flu shots. All kids should have them. Because 6 shots in the leg of a 6 month old isn't enough. So please forgive me for not being too sympathetic to people who want to blow up every American because they don't like being wet. (Yes, I know it's more complicated than just getting them wet - but we're not killing them, are we?) It all goes back to the greater good, I think. Nasal aspirators, car seats, flu shots, water boarding, it's all to save lives, right? My goodness, I think I need some more cold medicine and a nap...

I guess I'd better go. Jacob has calmed down and is now asking, very politely, "I just need to come down now..." I guess I can accomodate a polite child.

1 comment:

ncrigtrup said...

Hey Christie,

I am sorry about the colds...yuck!
You wonder where the week has gone, I think you just described it, family...kids....callings and that doesn't include house and everything that goes with that. Oh well....life goes on....good along with the bad. Thanks for the news that you are still alive...but maybe not so well.. but alive is good.... and I for one are happy about alive!!!!

Love, Mom